About Me

My photo
Shrewsbury, Shropshire, United Kingdom
FSC Preston Montford has been an outdoor classroom since 1957 and is a Field Studies Council centre. We deliver curriculum related outdoor education by the experts; from pre-school to Masters level; for infants, school students, undergraduates and enquiring adults with an interest in the natural world. Courses for schools and individuals. A venue for others to use; with bed space for 130, catering facilities and 7 fully equipped teaching and meeting spaces.

Saturday, October 3, 2015

A new face at Preston Montford



On the morning of 25h August 2015, I left beautiful Belfast to start my journey to Preston Montford. This journey wasn’t just about travel, it was when, for one year I would no longer just be a Geography student at Ulster University, but also an Education Assistant (EA). The first month in my role as EA has flown in. Each day bring new tasks and there are never two days which are the same. I have had the chance to see first-hand the hard work and time that goes in to preparing lessons and equipment, and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Preston Montford caters for so many different groups from all across the country, from Bats to Butterfly’s and people of all ages. I have had the chance to see some beautiful parts of Shropshire including Carding Mill Valley and Shrewsbury town. Two contrasting places, but both amazing in their own right. I am excited to get develop my geographical knowledge further by looking at both human and physical aspects. This will hopefully stand me in good stead throughout my placement and once I return to university. I am also excited to see other parts of England and Wales through working with the Field Studies Council. I think my greatest challenge will be adapting to the differences between being a student and working full time in a fast paced environment. If this first month is anything to go by this next year at Preston Montford will be an amazing learning curve and all in all a great experience. If you want to come with me on this journey over the next year check in every month and there will be a new update.

Staci Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment